Saturday, May 29, 2010

असतो मा सद्गमय

I've been an athiest practically all my life and suddenly becoming religious is a little.. scary.
My best friend taught me about the prayers and chants. I've only memorized the Meditation On Lord Shiva; and trust me, learning a new language so unlike the languages I have grown up around is like putting a sparrow in nest of cranes. Trust me, it's dizzying.

It's beautiful though, I think.

Shaantam padmaasanastham shashadharamakutam panchavaktram trinetram,Shoolam vajram cha khadgam parashumabhayadam dakshinaange vahantam;Naagam paasham cha ghantaam damaruka sahitam chaankusham vaamabhaage,Naanaalankaara deeptam sphatika maninibham paarvateesham namaami.

I never figured out what it is about religion that has so many people at its feet, and what it is about people that makes them believe that their god or gods are (is?) the god(s). I have to say, it's a trying philosophy. I've never allowed myself to dedicate myself to anyone or anything, and here I am, bowing in front of a brass statue on my mantle.

The gods work in wondrous ways, I hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment